Archana Rao is the head designer and creator of Frou Frou by Archana Rao, an Indian label which launched in 2011. In 2012, the label made it’s national debut during Lakme Fashion Week.
Archana creates individual pieces with a lot of vintage-inspired prints, fabrics, and silhouettes– all wearable in the modern day. We love her clothing, as it’s perfect for occasions in India and beyond!
“I’ve always loved the term ‘frou frou’. It’s the noise fabric makes when it rubs against itself,” she explains of her brand’s name and aesthetic. Archana’s perfect blend of sweet and structured won her the Vogue India Fashion Fund 2013 award last October. Alongside Vogue India, she has been featured in Ritz, Harper’s Bazaar Bride India, Travel+Leisure, Femina, Cosmopolitan, Verve, Hans India and many more notable publications.
Archana completed our exclusive Designer Love profile for an inside scoop on her personal inspirations, fashion insights, and lifestyle favorites.
- Name: Archana Rao
- Nickname: Archie
- Location: India
- Occupation: Fashion Designer
- Designer: Stella McCartney, Comme des Garcons
- Model or Muse: Lakshmi Menon (model)
- Favorite Trend (Clothing/Accessories): Classic White Shirt
- Least Favorite Trend (Clothing/Accessories): Everything the 90s stood for!
- Favorite Trend (Beauty): Mascara and a Bold Lip
- Least Favorite Trend (Beauty): Colored or Metallic Eyeliners
- Item You Own: A vintage hand embroidered purse
- Place: Pondicherry, India
- Era: Currently the 1920’s Flapper Era
- Scent/Perfume: Chanel no. 5
BITS + PIECES
- Most Inspired By: Vintage belongings of people, old photographs, good music, films and family heirlooms.
- What You Can’t Live Without: I cant live without my phone! It’s a terrible fixation, need to work on it.
- Currently In Your Purse: Phone, cards, chapstick and a travel size perfume.
- Item You Lust, But Don’t Have: I am obsessed with Olympia Le-Tan’s beautifully embroidered clutches.
- Fantasy Dinner Guests: Woody Allen, Norah Jones, Marc Jacobs (All my favorites and people I admire) also someone really funny to break the ice like Kristen Wiig maybe.
- Stilettos or Sneakers: Stilettos
- Always…. Have an opinion
- Never…. Give up
- Describe Your Job: I am a Designer, I like developing concepts and working with garments and accessories.
- Upcoming and Current Projects: Showcasing my Fall/Winter ’14 collection at an event organized by the Lend-A-Hand organization.
- What Comes Next: I will start working on my next collection for fashion week.
- Most Important Piece Of Advice: Always try to be better than your last time.
We look forward to Archana’s upcoming collection, and her current season hitting the market.. Her designs never cease to leave us inspired, happy, and intrigued. Her current season is based on the “average family’s clothes line.” We see inspiration from the spontaneity in everyday life and the different facets of multiple family members’ style. Peaceful, clean, and subtle were words used to describe the fluid-yet-unique collection.
A big thank you to Archana Rao from the team here at Indiaspopup.com! We’re more than happy to share our first Designer Love profile featuring her. xo